Topics Forums Bearded Dragons Cricket Contest

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts 5 Favorite

captainbeard98
      Participant
      Cricket Contest

Elmer!  The lizard, the myth, the legend!  Elmer is only three months old and is very adventurous.  He loves hanging around with his mouth open and eating LOTS of crickets.  He’s a little guy with a big appetite!  He’s also a great listener and smiles at everything you say!

CritterDepot
      Keymaster

Looks like this legend loves posing for pictures, too!  Did you buy Elmer from a reputable breeder?  Or did you find him from a local pet store?

captainbeard98
      Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Local breeder.  Wet Per Reptiles in Essex MD. He breeds all his own baby bearded dragons. He’s a tangerine dunner.</p>

Zoodulcis

And does Elmer laugh at your jokes too?  Just kidding of course.  This species does seem to go through life with their mouths open a lot!  As a tangerine dunner, will his colors change as he matures or will he stay pretty much as he is now.  Enquiring minds want to know.

captainbeard98
      Participant

For the most part he will look the same.  His colors may get a little brighter and more solid and his patterns may change slightly, but he will, for the most part, remain the same.

Zoodulcis

Thank you for that color info on Elmer.  What made you decide to get a beardie?

captainbeard98
      Participant

I’ve wanted one for years.  I recently started a new job which has given me more time and a little more money.  So, I thought that now was a great time to get one!

Zoodulcis

Sounds like the time was right!  Now that you have him, is he everything you hoped for?   And you’re sure he is a he, and won’t have to be renamed Elmetta?

captainbeard98
      Participant

I have no idea if he is a she or she is a he!  Can’t really tell at this age.  I have to wait until six months to tell.  If it’s a girl, I’m going with Charlotte.

Zoodulcis

Ha!  I was wondering about that.  Charlotte is nice.  Are these old family names, from books or films, etc?

captainbeard98
      Participant

Sorry.  School started and I’ve been really busy.  I just liked the sound of Elmer.  It seemed to fit.  Charlotte comes from Charlotte’s Web.  I’m an English major and have a urge to name things after characters.

Zoodulcis

My first thought on the female name was Charlotte’s Web.  Great minds think alike!  No apologies needed for the beginning of school silence on your end.  Retired professor me totally understands.  How is Charlotte/Elmer doing these days?

captainbeard98
      Participant

Just fine!  A little skiddish lately, but good.  He’s not to happy about the chopped up canned crickets he gets in the morning though.  I don’t have time to fish out, cover, and feed the love ones in the morning so he’s pretty happy when I get home for the live ones!

Zoodulcis

Isn’t it nice to come home to a pet, any pet, that is glad to see you for whatever reason.  Yes, we know it’s because they want something from us, but that doesn’t seem to matter to most people.  The fact that their non-human friend trusts them and is depending on them seems to be something all good pet owners respond to in a positive way.  I hope Elmer/Charlotte wins plenty of crickets, so that those yucky cut up ones can go away!

Any idea about the skittishness?

captainbeard98
      Participant

Shedding.  Growing pains?

Zoodulcis

Shedding is always a possibility.  I wonder if you are handling him/her as often due to school obligations and so Elmer is getting less used to human contact?  Just a thought.

Viewing 15 reply threads

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});