Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts 5 Favorite

njs6864
      Participant
      Cricket Contest

Happy May Everyone! This is my Pacific chorus frog named Stahl. I found her along with four other Pacific chorus frogs while unloading a Christmas tree delivery truck originating from Oregon. To protect native populations of pacific chorus frogs from invasive diseases, California Fish and Game requests that hitch-hiking frogs such as Stahl be humanely put down to prevent them from entering California’s ecosystems. Instead of putting the frogs down, I homed them in a new terrarium. Stahl and her Pacific Chorus frog buddies enjoy munching on gut loaded crickets and hanging out on the leaves of the live plants in their tank.

CritterDepot
      Keymaster

love the story!  do they eat anything else besides crickets?  and are their croaks ever synchronized for a beautiful harmony lol

FunnyFrog
      Participant

I love this story, and my six frogs do too! My pets are hungry. But I think you should win..+1 critter gold

njs6864
      Participant

Hey guys,

So in the wild, Pacific Chorus Frogs will eat small spiders and insects. At the moment, I only feed them gut loaded crickets. Funny frog, it appears that your frog is also a PCF! A great reference to learn about Pacific Chorus Frogs comes from Oregon State University.

https://ir.library.oregonstate.edu/downloads/5425k995p

CritterDepot
        Keymaster

What type of husbandry do they require?  I know pixie frogs and pacman frogs need their habitat cleaned pretty frequently.  Are Pacific Chorus Frogs the same?

njs6864
      Participant

Pacific chorus frogs require significantly less tank maintenance in my opinion. Of course fresh water to soak in is a must however, the pacific chorus frog’s droppings are much smaller than the pacman or pixie frog. I will change their water daily while picking up their droppings about once a week. In addition, I will clean the inside glass of the vivarium once every two weeks or so. They currently live in an 18 x 18 x 24 tank.

CritterDepot
        Keymaster

That’s fascinating, do you use a bioactive substrate?  Do you have any pics of your habitat?

Zoodulcis

Greetings NJS, I really applaud your efforts at appropriate rescue.  Do you have a favorite site that provides information for others wanting to rescue and not euthanize? It would be wonderful if we could include a link or two in this forum.  More pictures are always welcome as well.

FunnyFrog
      Participant

I love your picture! I have some frogs too. Could you post  some more of Stahl and her buddies? My frogs also love gut loaded crickets…

Zoodulcis

Yes, I am with funnyfrog!  Please do post some more pictures and any insights on reptile and amphibian rescuing that you would care to share.

Viewing 7 reply threads

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});