Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts 6 Favorite

MizzKelley
      Participant
      Cricket contest

Mommy daughter love 😍

Zoodulcis

Oh now that is precious!  And it looks like mom knows how to keep a swivel eye on that youngster.  When was the baby born (hatched)?

MizzKelley
      Participant

I wanna say about 2 months ago I feel bad I don’t know exact date. Lol

Zoodulcis

Two months is close enough.  At this age are you certain that she is indeed a she?  If so, what means do you use to tell this and how reliable do you feel this method is?  Lot’s of readers that are new keepers of youngsters or who are beginning to shop for young herps ask about this frequently.

MizzKelley
      Participant

Yes you are right, alot of newbies do wonder that. I look at the crest on the head,the bulge under tail and the horn or lil toe behind the feet on the rear legs. It is pretty hard to sex them so young unless you really know what you’re looking at and yes sometimes it can still be wrong. But because this baby has a lower crest, no bulge whatsoever and flat back feet I’m about 90% sure shes a girl 🙂

MizzKelley
      Participant

Zoodulcis

Wow that is some really helpful identifying markers!  I think that will help quite a few folks and now I feel better informed.  What is the little one eating at this point in her life?

MizzKelley
      Participant

She is eating small crickets, small superworms and sometimes munches on some veggies. 😊

Zoodulcis

How big are the crickets you give here?  Are they pinhead or some other kind?

MizzKelley
      Participant

I started her out on pinhead but she’s eating them about medium size now.

Zoodulcis

OK, I’m officially impressed with the little one’s dining preferences.  Go big or go home!  What sort of ingredients do you use in your cricket gut load base, or do you use a commercial product like Flukers?

MizzKelley
      Participant

I buy them from different places so it’s not always the same. Lol

Zoodulcis

Just by way of helpful hint, I have had poor experiences with trusting pet stores to always gut load the crickets that they sell.  That was years ago, and I now know better, as do other herp fanciers that are now sadder but wiser.  When you get a chance, you might want to check out this very affordable and easy peasy gut load recipe contained right on this very site!

https://www.thecritterdepot.com/blogs/news/veiled-chameleons#Veiled-Chameleon-Diet-and-Feeding

Hope you find this information helpful.  I wouldn’t want anything to happen to the Mom and Daughter duo.  Please let us know if you do decide to use this formula and what you found the results to be.

MizzKelley
      Participant

Thank you very much was a very interesting read, I have thought about trying to breed my own crickets so then I know without a doubt they are gutloaded well. 😊

Zoodulcis

Glad to be of assistance.  That same gut lad formula works well for dubia roaches too, if you decide that crickets cricking in the house are not your thing.  I have found its best raise crickets in a shed or garage, if you have one.

MizzKelley
      Participant

Haha I don’t know if my hubby would let me raise roaches 😅

Zoodulcis

Yes, there is the creep factor with roaches.  Was this little girl the only offsping in a recent hatch or were there more?  If more, did you sell them?

Viewing 16 reply threads

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});